It's quite surprising that you're getting this kind of query
degradation by adding an "fq" clause
unless something's really out of whack on the setup. How much memory
are you giving
the JVM? Are you autowarming? Are you indexing while this is going on,
and if what are
your commit parameters? If you add &debug=true to your query, one of
the returned sections
will be "timings" for the various components of a query measured in
milliseconds. Occasionally
there will be surprises in there.

What are you measuring when you say it takes seconds? The time to
render the result page or
are you looking at the QTime parameter of the return packet?

Best,
Erick