Thanks for your responses.

Why do you think it should be at position 1? In that case searching for "3
d" would not find anything. Is it what you expect?
During search some of the results returned are not wanted. Following is the
example.
Search query: "3d image"
Search results with 3-d image/3 d image/1d image are also returned. This is
happening because of position increment.
Another example is "1d obj*" returning results containing "d-object"
related results. This can bring a completely different search item. Here
the token d matches with d of d-object as this term is again split same way.
The position increment will also cause the "3d image" search fail on a
document containing "3d image" as the "d" comes at position 2.

1) can you confirm if you've made a typo while typing out your results?
I have confirmed the position attribute displayed on analysis page and I
found there is no typo.
2 ) you'll get the d and 3d as 2 since they're the 2nd token once 3d is
split.
Irrespective of it what I want to understand why there is an increment in
position. Should not all the terms be at same position as they are yielded
from the same term/token?

Best,
Modassar