Probably the fact that information from deleted/updated
documents is still hanging around in the corpus until
merged away.

The nub of the issue is that terms in deleted documents
(or the replaced doc if you update) still influence tf/idf
calculations. If you optimize as Binoy suggests, all of
the information relating to deleted docs is removed.

If this is a SolrCloud setup, you can be getting
scores from different replicas of the same shard. Due to
the fact that merging (which purges deleted information)
can occur at different times on different replicas, the scores
calculated for a particular doc might be different depending
on which replica calculated it.

In either setup (SolrCloud or not), background merging can
change the result order by removing information associated
with deleted docs.

All that said, does this have _practical_ consequences or
is this mostly a curiosity question?

Best,
Erick