On 1/25/2016 7:47 PM, Brian Narsi wrote:
> We have increased the number of documents in the SolrCloud collection to
> several million now and are seeing the "issue" again:
>
> If there are 10 documents each with exactly the same highest score and we
> run the query again and again, the order of documents changes. So strictly
> speaking although all documents are equally relevant, it will be very nice
> if the order can stay the same so that users are confident about query
> results.
>
> How can we make sure that the order does not change when the query is run
> again and again for documents that are equally relevant (i.e. their score
> is exactly the same)?

Very likely what's happening is that sometimes your shards are
responding on a different timescale with each request, so the pieces
that get combined into the final result set arrive in a different
order.  This causes the Java object containing the results to get
populated in a different order.

If you absolutely require a deterministic order when the score is the
same, then you must supply a secondary sort parameter, to break ties.
It sounds like you are doing the default relevance sorting (no sort
parameter at all), so you would need something like this:

sort=score desc,id asc

Thanks,
Shawn