Thanks Shawn for explaining in details.
Regarding the performance issue you mentioned, there are 2 points

1) "The [* TO *] syntax is an all-inclusive range query, which will usually be
much faster than a wildcard query."

I will take your statement for granted and let the space for people to
comment on the details behind this.

2) "Behind the scenes, Solr will interpret this as "all possible values for
field" --which sounds like it would be exactly what you're looking for,
except that if there are ten million possible values in the field
you're searching,
the constructed Lucene query will quite literally include all ten million
values."

Does that mean that the  [* TO *] syntax does not return all results?

Regards,

Salman