I'm porting a 4.8 schema to 5.3 and I came across this new error when I tried to group.field=f1:

unexpected docvalues type SORTED_SET for field 'f1' (expected=SORTED). Use UninvertingReader or index with docvalues.

f1 is defined as

<fieldType name="f1_type" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer type="index">
      </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

<field name="f1" type="f1_type" indexed="true" stored="false" required="true" />

Notice that I don't have docValues defined. I realize the field type doesn't allow docValues so why does this group request fail with a docValues error? It did work with 4.8

Any clue would be appreciated, thanks

David