I think some of the Twitter's need to index in a particular way comes
from their real-time need. So, that's part of the decision for the
original poster, on how responsive data needs to be.

As to the rest, I think the company that shows twitter messages on TV
does something similar with Solr. They were presenting at Revolution
2014 (one before last) I think.  I forgot their name (they changed it
once or twice...)

Regards,
    Alex.
----