Thank you for the links and explanation.  We are using GATE (General
Architecture for Text Engineering) and parts of the Stanford NER/Parser for
the data that we ingest, but we do not apply it to the queries - only the
data.  We've been concentrating on the back-end, and analytics, not so much
what comes in for queries; something that we need to address.  For this
hypothetical, I wanted to get ideas on what questions would need to be
asked, and how large the system would need to be.  Thank you all very much
for the information so far!
Jack - I want to be a guru-level Solr expert.  :)

-Joe