Well, if using managed schema in SolrCloud, all the updates
to the nodes is automatic so it's easier from that perspective.

To me, the sweet spot for managed schema is that it lends
itself to some kind of front end that allows you to deal with the
schema visually, one can envision widgets, pick-lists and in
general all the stuff that goes with a comprehensive UI. Managed
also has the advantage of making it much harder to create
mal-formed XML which has always been a possibility with hand
editing.

Personally I prefer to hand-edit the files. One can even combine
the two, hand edit the managed-schema file before, say,
putting it up on Zookeeper then use the managed portion
thereafter.

There's no real reason you can't hand-edit the schema. But as Shawn
mentioned, you must do this when there are no solr instances looking
at it or you risk losing your edits.

Really, it's a matter of taste/tooling.

Best,
Erick