You're mixing managed and non-managed schema terms here.

"schema.xml" is the old default and is (usually) _not_
editable by the managed schema stuff.

Managed schema schemas are usually named just that "managed_schema".
You can hand edit this if you want, but when you do I'd recommend that all
the Solr nodes be shut down. As to where it lives in ZK, it should be under
configsets/the_name_you_gave_it.

Of course you have to edit it somewhere and push it up to ZK, Solr 5.5
has options
to do this in bin/solr, the "zk" command.

But from the error, you are not configured to use managed schema, which
is enabled in solrconfig.xml. See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Schema+API
and
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Schema+Factory+Definition+in+SolrConfig