Slow down a bit ;)...

First, just to cover the bases, you have done a commit, right? The
index generation on the UI screen is a bit misleading as replicas in
SolrCloud don't necessarily have the same generation, that's normal.
The "master/slave" bits are cruft from the older non-cloud days.

So I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what the problem is. On
the one hand you say "The shard has the same number of docs on each
host", yet "customers searching in one specific collection reported
seeing varying results with the same search".

OK, what does that mean? Results in different order? Some docs just
not there? What I would do is run the queries at the Solr nodes (after
committing and when there was no indexing going on) with
&distrib=false set. Fire this at _each_ replica for _each_ shard. If
you see varying numbers of hits on the _same_ shard, that's one
problem.

Do note that the ordering can, in some edge cases, be different so you
can't assume that just because a doc appears on one shard and doesn't
on another it's really not there, it's possible it was sorted a bit
lower in the list. It's rare that a customer would notice this though.

Best,
Erick