I just reviewed the testPredicate method in the test cases:

https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/core/src/test/org/apache/solr/handler/TestSQLHandler.java

All the test cases in testPredicate() are formatted like regular SQL. I
don't think the way things are designed you could make a valid query that
combined fields like a typical search.

You will have to make separate calls for each aggregation. To get faceting
performance you would use the facet aggregationMode.

The SQL predicate gets rewritten to a valid Solr query, and then gets
handled by the QueryComponent, like a regular query. So any field
definitions should work fine. But scoring is only performed for queries
with a LIMIT clause.

With the cardinality issue you'll need to experiment a little to see where
the facet mode starts to slow down and lose accuracy. In the future we'll
be moving to streaming facets so cardinality won't be an issue even in
facet mode. So in future releases MapReduce will only be used to handle
distributed joins.

In facet mode it uses the JSON facet API. It scales reasonable well, but I
don't believe it provides fully accurate counts because it doesn't do the
refinement step. But in my testing I didn't push it far enough to where it
fell over. But it eventually will fall over because it's keeping all the
aggregation buckets in memory at once. MapReduce mode is always accurate no
matter how the high cardinality gets.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/