Chris Hostetter wrote:
: http://people.apache.org/~shalin/poll.html

Except the existing Solr logo isn't on that list. i smell election tampering :)
I had put it in my poll :) I actually considered bringing that up to Shalin as well, but couldn't bring myself to be so fair I suppose <g>
Seriously though: I realized a long time ago that there was too much email to reply too, too many features to work on, too many patches to review, and too few hours in the day for me to really care what the Solr Admin screens or the Solr Logo looked like.
In general, I couldn't agree more. Talented guys like yourself should be kept busy on important non visual stuff for sure. The work on what solr actually does should come first, no question! I am not trying to pull any busy developer into the admin gui.
As long as the admin screens are functional and readable, and as long as the logo contains the word "Solr" I'm happy -- You crazy kids, with all your energy and enthusiasm, should feel free to go nuts.
Good, cause all that above said, I still want improvement! In some ways, its not the best bang for your buck, but some volunteers might be into the design thing. The open source user is usually well aware that admin gui's come last, and doesn't make any judgments of code/product quality on such things - if you did you'd be making the wrong judgments!

But those outside of the open source circle often associate superficial looks with quality (and vice versa)- which is why commercial stuff 'tends' (not always for sure) to look better than open source stuff. They pay a designer to make something that looks pleasing.

But I don't care about the possibly small value of it. I have energy to spare, and I want solr to look fantastic. Don't ask me why - personal itch. So no work necessary from anyone else, and I'll try to stay out of the way - I have a personal itch to upgrade the look - the current look just rubs me wrong :)

Its not that important, but I want to help improve it anyway - I think thats part of the beauty of open source - no budgets. I am fully prepared to get nowhere as well - no use not trying though. Already there may be an improved logo <g>

-  Mark

-Hoss