Not sure if it's helpful, but I did solve a similar problem by scripting
the placement of the plugin .jar file into the appropriate directories as
part of the build process for my VMs

I get that doing it through the BlobStore would be preferred, probably...
But I couldn't get it to work and decided to go with "ye olde school" bash
scripting which I knew I could depend on.

(Caveat - I have a fairly simple environment, so your mileage may vary)