Isn't the designed workflow for something like this...

1) upload a very minimal configset
2) create your collection
3) upload your plugin jar
4) use the Schema API to create the new fieldtype that uses your plugin

?

: Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 11:07:39 -0600
: From: John Bickerstaff <j...@johnbickerstaff.com>
: To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: Re: Can't create collection without plugin,
:     can't load plugin without collection
:
: I might be on the wrong track, but this statement made me think...
:
: I can force this to work by removing the custom reference, create the
: collection, load the jar and then add the custom reference back in place.
: This is fine as a manual one-time setup, but not feasible in a scripted
: production deployment.
:
: If you're in a SolrCloud setup, it's only one step to change ALL the
: configs, right?  Just upload "improved" configs to zookeeper from one box,
: restart all boxes.  The improved configs could already reside on one (or
: all) of your SolrCloud servers (vms or physical machines - or be on a
: shared network drive)
:
: Unless I'm missing something (and I could be) it's fine for the jar to be
: in the appropriate folder on each box as long as it's NOT referenced in the
: config file... So that could be part of your build for every machine (or
: you could use a script to deploy it)
:
: Just trying to help think around the corners of the box - feel free to
: ignore if I've missed something obvious.
:
:
: On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>