Let me explain further,
let's assume a simple case when we have 2 shards.
ReRankDocs =10 , rows=10 .

Correct me if I am wrong Joel,
What we would like :
1 page : top 10 re-scored
2 page: remaining 10 re-scored
>From page 3 the original scored docs.
This is what is happening in a single sol instance if we put reRankDocs to
20.

Let's see with sharing :
To get the first page we get top 10 ( re-scored) from shard1 and top 10
reranked for shard 2.
Then the merged top 10 ( re-scored) will be calculated, and that is the
page 1.

But when we require the page 2, which means we additionally ask now :
20 docs to shard1, 10 re-scored and 10 not.
20 docs to shard2, 10 re-scored and 10 not.
At this point we have 40 docs to merge and rank..
The docs with the original score can go at any position ( not necessarily
the last 20)
In the page 2 we can find potentially docs with the original score.
This is even more likely if the scores are on differente scales (e.g. the
re-scored 0<x<1  and original >100 ) .

Am I right ?
Did I make any wrong assumption so far ?

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro