: I'd prefer that the community decide on the best logo.
: Choosing #3 on a simple majority when there were 6 variants of #2 to
: split the vote, doesn't feel fair.
: The fair thing to me looks like a runoff between #2 and #3.

Agreed, but I'd suggest including #9 as well.

Between #9,10&11 there was fairly decent vote close to what #3 got and
while #10&11 both have some fine detail that's hard to reproduce in
smaller versions, 9 is both simple to scale and fairly representative of
the group.

A simple 1person==1vote runoff of #2, #3, and #9 lasting 72 hours should
be quick and fairly representative.  Assuming that produces a decent
number of votes indicating a concesus there's no need to call a vote of
committers anymore then there would be for any other documentation/site
change.

(Disclaimer: i also didn't vote before, and i plan on abstaining from the
runoff, but i'm with yonik: i don't think there was a clear mandate from
the community given the number of small variations on similar designs)

-Hoss