An on-deck searcher is not yet the active searcher. The SolrCore increments
the on-deck searcher count prior to starting the warming process. Unless
it's the first searcher, a new searcher will be warmed and then registered.
Once registered the searcher becomes active.

So, the initial question: is an on-deck searcher a warming searcher: the
answer is basically yes.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/