Shawn and Joel both answered the question with seemingly opposite answers,
but Joel's should be right. On Deck, as an idiom, means "getting ready to
go next". I think it has it's history in military / naval terminology (a
plane being "on deck" of an aircraft carrier was the next one to take off),
and was later used heavily in baseball (the "on deck" batter was the one
warming up to go next) and probably elsewhere.

I've always understood the "on deck" searcher(s) being the same as the
warming searcher(s). So you have the "active" searcher and them the warming
or on deck searchers.

-Trey