bq: ...is it triggering a commit every 30 seconds, because that's what
I have the autoDeletePeriodSeconds set to

Yep. There's this line from Chris' writeup:
****
After the deleteByQuery has been executed, a soft commit is also
executed using openSearcher=true so that search results will no longer
see the expired documents.
****

Assuming your index is changing, you'll indeed open one searcher as a
result of your autocommit and a second as a result of TTL processing.
And they'll overlap sometimes.

There's a note in the code about making the commits optional, it seems
fair to raise a JIRA about implementing this. Patches even more
welcome ;).

Meanwhile, this performance _warning_ is benign. That is, the new
searcher is indeed opened. If you see something like "Error opening
new searcher. exceeded limit of maxWarmingSearchers...." then the
newest searcher will not be opened (although the next searcher opened
will pick up any changes).

Note that there's no particular point in bumping the max warming
searchers in solrconfig.xml since the warning message is dumped
whenever there are > 1 warming searchers. If you get the "error
opening...." message it's a more open question though.

So your choices are:
1> just ignore it
2> contribute a patch
3> increase the interval. That'll reduce the number of times you see
this warning, but won't eliminate them all.

Best,
Erick