: bq: ...is it triggering a commit every 30 seconds, because that's what
: I have the autoDeletePeriodSeconds set to

yes a commit is triggered each time a delete is fired.

: There's a note in the code about making the commits optional, it seems
: fair to raise a JIRA about implementing this. Patches even more
: welcome ;).

No, actaully the Note in the code is about wether or not there should be
an option to force a *HARD* commits.

The fact that there is no option prevent any commit at all was a concious
choice:

a) the processor is basically useless unless something does a commit --
there's no point in doing deletes every 30 seconds if we only want to
bother having a new searcher every 60 seconds -- it just means we're doing
twice the work w/o any added benefit.

b) a softCommit+openSeacher is a No-Op unless there is soemthing to
actauly commit. (see SOLR-5783 and TestIndexSearcher.testReopen)

If you are seeing an increase in "Overlapping onDeckSearchers" when using
DocExpirationUpdateProcessorFactory, it's becuase you actaully have docs
expiring quite frequently relative to the autoDeletePeriodSeconds and
the amount of time needed to warm each of the new searchers.

if ou don't want the searchers to be re-opened so frequently, just
increase the autoDeletePeriodSeconds.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/