Dear solr users,

when updating documents in bulk (i.e. 40.000 documents at once), and only
changing the value of a single Boolean-Flag, I currently re-index all whole
40.000 objects. However, the process of obtaining all relevant information for
each object from the database is one of relatively high cost.

I now wonder, if in this situation it would be a good idea to implement a
single-field update routine using atomic updates? In that case, I could skip
any necessary lookups in the relational database, since the only information
would be the new value for that Boolean-Flag, and the list of those 40.000
document ids.

I am aware of the requirements to use atomic updates, but as I understood,
those would not have a big impact on performance and only a slight increase in
index size?

What is your opinion on that?

Thanks for your input, have a nice evening!

Sebastian