“Brittle” means that if the node fails, your cluster cannot change until the
node is back up. Single point of failure.

The whole point of Zookeeper is redundant protection against failure. So
running a single Zookeeper node is just wrong.

A Zookeeper ensemble needs to be an odd number of instances, because they will
do majority voting. Three or five is a good number. Three works with one
failure. Five works with one failure while you are upgrading the Zookeeper
ensemble.

We run a three node ensemble in test and a five node ensemble in prod.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org