Thank you, these are useful tips.

We were previously working with a 4GB heap and getting OOMs in Solr while
updating (probably from the analysers) that would cause the index writer to
close with what’s called a “tragic” error in the writer code. Only a hard
restart of the service could bring it back. There are certain documents that
function like poison and trigger this error every time. Haven’t had time to
isolate and create a test case, so throwing RAM at it is a stopgap.

When I do, I’ll file an issue.