On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 15:39 +0000, Caruana, Matthew wrote:
> Thank you. The question remains however, if this is such a hefty
> operation then why is it walking to the destination instead of
> running, so to speak?

We only do optimize on an old Solr 4.10 setup, but for that we have
plenty of experience. At least for single-shard, and at least for most
of the work, optimize is a single-threaded process: It takes us ~8
hours to optimize a ~900GB shard using SSDs, with 1 CPU-core at near
100% and the other ones not doing anything.

The machine load number is a bit fuzzy, but if you do a top doing
optimization, my guess is that you will see the same thing as we do:
Only 1 CPU-core working.
--
Toke Eskildsen, Royal Danish Library