Matthew:

What load testing have you done on optimized .vs. unoptimized indexes?
Is there enough of a performance gain to be worth the trouble? Toke's
indexes are pretty static, and in his situation it's worth the effort.
Before spending a lot of cycles on making optimization
work/understanding the ins and outs I'd really recommend you see if
any performance gain is worth it ;)...

And as I mentioned earlier, optimizing is unlikely to be related to
OOMs during indexing. You never know of course....

Best,
Erick