We use pagination (start/rows) frequently with our queries.  Nothing
unusual there.

Now we have need to use grouping with a request like this, for a
set-mode search, where only one document from each set is returned:

http://idxb1.REDACTED.com:8981/solr/ncmain/lbcheck?q=*:*&group=true&group.field=set_name&group.sort=set_lead%20desc&group.limit=1&rows=50

We've worked through most of the problems encountered with this idea.
The first page of results works perfectly.

The remaining problem is that I cannot seem to paginate -- set the start
value to 50, 100, etc.  I found some information saying that
group.ngroups=true is required for pagination, so I added that.  I have
found that occasionally I can load page two (rows=50&start=50), but that
*most* of the time, I can't even get page two to load, and further pages
have never worked.  The response contains no documents.

The index is distributed (sharded), but not running SolrCloud.

The server where I am trying this is running a SNAPSHOT build of 4.9.  I
haven't had an opportunity yet to try a newer version -- we don't have
newer versions on any of the machines for this index.  I can only
upgrade as far as 5.3, because that's as far as we can go with a
third-party plugin we are using.

I found the following issue, which says it was fixed before 4.0 was
released:

Does anyone know whether pagination with grouping is expected to work,
and if so, how to do it?

Thanks,
Shawn