On 4/13/2017 3:22 AM, Johannes Knaus wrote:
> Ok. Thank you for your quick reply. Though I still feel a little
> uneasy. Why is it possible then to alter replicationFactor via
> MODIFYCOLLECTION in the collections API? What would be the use case
> for this parameter at all then?

If you use a very specific storage method for your indexes -- HDFS --
then replicationFactor has meaning beyond initial collection creation,
in conjunction with the "autoAddReplicas" feature.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+HDFS#RunningSolronHDFS-AutomaticallyAddReplicasinSolrCloud

If you are NOT utilizing the very specific HDFS storage engine, then
everything you were told applies.  With standard storage mechanisms,
replicationFactor has zero meaning after initial collection creation,
and changing the value will have no effect.

Thanks,
Shawn