IIRC, the core.properties file _is_ renamed to
core.properties.unloaded or something like that.

Yeah, this is something of a pain. The inverse of "unload" is "create"
but you have to know exactly how to create a core, and in SolrCloud
mode that's...interesting. It's much safer to bring the Solr node
down, do what you want then start it up, although not always possible.

Best,
Erick