What is at the end of solr.log when it has died?

Is there anything in syslog or messages?

What is the other app?

Run the top command, memory screen, on Ubuntu:

$ top -o RES

I have never used strace(1) on Solr, but that is an option. Run Solr in strace with the appropriate options to reduce the voluminous output.

You could upgrade your hardware cheaply at a surplus store (almost every machine in my office is surplus .. think .. actually, every one).

cheers -- Rick

On 2017-05-25 06:55 PM, Robert Brown wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently running 6.5.1 with a tiny index, less than 1MB.

When I restart another app on the same server as Solr, Solr occasionally dies, but no solr_oom_killer.log file.

Heap size is 256MB (~30MB used), Physical RAM 2GB, typically using 1.5GB.

How else can I debug what's causing it?

Also, for such a small index, what would be an appropriate heap size? 10MB seems to just kill it (OOM log file produced) as it starts.

Thanks,
Rob