We did some testing and the performance was strangely even better with HDFS then the with the local file system. But this seems to greatly depend on how your setup looks like and what actions you perform. We now had a patter with lots of small updates and commits and that seems to be quite a bit slower. We are about to do performance testing on that now.

The reason we switched to HDFS was largely connected to us using Docker and Marathon/Mesos. With HDFS the data is in a shared file system and thus it is possible to move the replica to a different instance on a a different host.

regards,
Hendrik