On 12/4/2017 7:21 AM, alessandro.benedetti wrote:
the reason docCount was improving things is because it was using a docCount
relative to a specific field while maxDoc is global all over the index ?

Lucene/Solr doesn't actually delete documents when you delete them, it just marks them as deleted. I'm pretty sure that the difference between docCount and maxDoc is deleted documents. Maybe I don't understand what I'm talking about, but that is the best I can come up with.

Not all aspects of the impact on scores from deleted documents can be eliminated, but there has been some effort to make it as minimal as possible. For what has been described here, the actual count is available, so it gets used.

Thanks,
Shawn