: Yes, i am using dismax. But dismax allows *:* for q.alt ,which also seems
: like inconsistency.

dismax is a *parser* that affects how a single query string is parsed.

when you use defType=dismax, that only changes how the "q" param is
parsed -- not any other query string params, like "fq" or "facet.query"
(or "q.alt")

when you have a request like "defType=dismax&q=&q.alt=*:*" what you are
saying, and what solr is doing, is...

* YOU: hey solr, use dismax as the default parser for the q param
* SEARCHHANDLER: ok, if the "q" param does not use local params to
override the parser, i will use dismax
* SEARCHHANDLER: hey dismax qparser, go parse the string ""
* DISMAXQP: that string is empty, so instead we should use q.alt
* SEARCHHANDLER: ok, i will parse the q.alt param and use that query in
place of the empty q param
* SEARCHHANDLER: hey lucene qparser, the string "*:*" does not use local
params to override the parser, please parse it
* LUCENEQP: the string "*:*" is a MatchAllDocsQuery
* SEARCHHANDLER: cool, i'll use that as my main query

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/