The solrj API does not care how data is passed around, the interface to use it is identical.

If you create a CommonsHttpSolrServer and don't set the parser, it will by default use the javabin parser.

  SolrServer server = new CommonsHttpSolrServer(url);
  SolrQuery query = new SolrQuery();
  query.setQuery("*:*");
  QueryResponse rsp = server.query(query);
  SolrDocumentList docs = rsp.getResults();

Are you connecting to a 1.2 server? If not, there is no reason to use the XMLResponseParser:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj#head-12c26b2d7806432c88b26cf66e236e9bd6e91849

ryan