SOLR-11488 is there so we formalize what we intend here. For instance,
at one point we discovered that you could have an alias pointing to
collection1,collection2 then delete collection2 say. Solr was happy in
that configuration but it made no sense. See SOLR-11218.

So I don't know what the eventual resolution will be...

In terms of why one would want an alias and collection to have the
same name, a common recommendation is to completely re-index when
making schema changes. By being able to create an alias with the same
name as a collection, you can do that reindexing and atomically switch
over without affecting the rest of your code or having any service
interruption. So it looks like this:

create a new_collection and index to it
create an alias old_collection->new_collection
delete old_collection

and there's no service interruption. At very best if you couldn't
create an alias with the same name as your collection, you'd have to

create new_collection and index to it.
Shut down all your apps
delete old_collection
create alias old_collection->new_collection
bring all your apps back up.

or
create new_collection and index to it
create an alias->new_collection
rewrite all your apps to use the alias
when they were all re-written, then delete old_collection.

So it is convenient I think. We haven't moved forward on SOLR-11488
yet. SOLR-11218 beefed up some testing also so we don't inadvertently
break things.

Best,
Erick