On 3/20/2018 2:25 PM, Mukhopadhyay, Aratrika wrote:
>      I have a solr query which I am having a hard time configuring as I would
> want it configured. Suppose I have a situation where I have two fields
> field1(host field) and field2 (url field). I want a specific host to be
> bubbled to the top for all terms except for when I am searching for specific
> people in which case I want the URL to their landing page returned first. I
> have configured the dismax query parser in my solrconfig but it seems that
> the boost being applied is arbitrary .

<snip>

>    <requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler">
>     <lst name="defaults">
>       <str name="defType">edismax</str>
>       <str name="q">*:*</str>
>       <str
> name="bq">host:(www.starwars.com)^10</str<http://www.starwars.com)%5e10%3c/str>>
>       <str name="q">Carrie Fisher</str>
>       <str name="bq">url:(
> http\:\/\/www.imdb.com\/name\/nm0000402/<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000402/>)^8</str>
>             <str name="q">Mark Hamill</str>
>       <str name="bq">url:(
> http\:\/\/www.imdb.com\/name\/nm0000434/<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000434/>)^8</str>
>    </lst>
>   </requestHandler>

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of how "defaults" works.

I have no idea what happens with multiple "q" parameters, which you have
configured in defaults.  I do know that if your request includes a "q"
parameter, then what you've put in defaults for "q" is going to be
overridden and ignored.

This section of the documentation covers defaults, appends, and invariants:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/requesthandlers-and-searchcomponents-in-solrconfig.html#RequestHandlersandSearchComponentsinSolrConfig-SearchHandlers

I think the Query Elevation Component might be the kind of functionality
you're after.  What you're trying to do with defaults is NOT going to work.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/the-query-elevation-component.html

Thanks,
Shawn