Anthony:

You are probably seeing the results of removing deleted documents from
the shards as they're merged. Even on replicas in the same _shard_,
the size of the index on disk won't necessarily be identical. This has
to do with which segments are selected for merging, which are not
necessarily coordinated across replicas.

The test is if the number of docs on each collection is the same. If
it is, then don't worry about index sizes.

Best,
Erick