I disagree that a phrase of 1-word is just a phrase.  That is the core
difference between the qf and pf clauses.  Qf is collecting the terms; pf
is boosting the combinations.

For queries where the original query phrase has only a single term in it,
then it might be a moot point, unless the clauses are being pointed at
different fields or different boosts.

But for multi-term queries, pf (and pf2 and pf3) can be important
differentiators between documents that just happen to have enough words
from the user's original query, and documents that get closer to the user's
meaning.    It balances the documents that have enough terms per mm and
documents that have enough terms in one field.

Elizabeth Haubert