> At this point, it's roll your own.

That's where I'm getting bogged down - I'm confused by the various queryparser
classes in lucene and solr and I'm not sure exactly what I need to override.
Do you know of an example of something similar to what I'm doing that I could
use as a reference?

> I'd love to see the BTQ in Solr
> (and Spans!), but I wonder if it makes sense w/o better indexing side
> support.  I assume you are rolling your own Analyzer, right?

Yup - I'm pretty sure I have that side figured out.  My input contains terms
marked up with a score (ie 'software?7')  I just needed to create a TokenFilter
that parses out the suffix and sets the Payload on the token.

>  Spans and payloads are this huge untapped area for better search!

Completely agree - we do a lot with keyword searching, and we use this type of
thing in our existing search implementation.  Thanks for the quick response!