As Shawn says, there's no hard limit, but having that many fields
almost always indicates a flawed design.

I'd pretty strongly suggest that you reconsider your design with an
eye towards reducing the field count to
something less than, say, 1,000. That number is fairly arbitrary, and
ideally I'd want it even smaller
but it's not a bad target.

And do note that if you elect to do this, the meta-data will still be
hanging around and you must
create a new collection and re-index from scratch to purge it.

Best,
Erick