Solr does need to know what field(s) you want to search. And you can
configure all of these things in solrconfig.xml, so the user does not
have to provide that.

Just remember, unless you really know what you are doing, you should
not be exposing Solr directly to the user/browser. Think of it more
like a database with another layer between it and user-queries.
Otherwise, somebody could delete your whole index, etc.

Regards,
   Alex.