Hi Rekna,
I think nobody can seriously answer to your questions. The only "serious" answer to your questions, which doesn't help you, is "it depends"; specifically, it depends on what is / are your goal / goals, context and so on.

Is not possible, at least in my opinion, to provide such answers under an absolute perspective because they shouldn't make so much sense. Of course, there are some "hard" limits (if you have 10GB of available disk space, your index cannot be greater than that) but I believe you can ignore that: it's better if you focus on (and provide us some other details about) your objectives.

Best,
Andrea