Thanks for the feedback.

So here is where I'm at.

I first went ahead and deleted the existing core that was returning the
error using the following command: bin/solr delete -c new_solr_core

Now when I access the admin panel, there are no errors.

I then referred to the large "warning" box on the CREATE action
documentation:

"While it’s possible to create a core for a non-existent collection, this
approach is not supported and not recommended. Always create a collection
using the *Collections API* before creating a core directly for it."

I then tried to create a collection using the following "Collections API"
command:

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=newCollection&numShards=2&replicationFactor=1&wt=xml

This was the response:

<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">400</int>
<int name="QTime">2</int>
</lst>
<lst name="error">
<lst name="metadata">
<str name="error-class">org.apache.solr.common.SolrException</str>
<str name="root-error-class">org.apache.solr.common.SolrException</str>
</lst>
<str name="msg">Solr instance is not running in SolrCloud mode.</str>
<int name="code">400</int>
</lst>
</response>

I guess my main question is, do I need to be running in "SolrCloud mode" if
my intention is to use Solr Server to index a Drupal 7 website? We're
currently using opensolr.com which is working fine but we're trying to
avoid the monthly costs associated with their "Shared Solr Cloud" plan.

Thanks!

--
Greg Robinson
CEO - Mobile*Enhanced*