bq. I thought different JAVA instances at different ports are separated by each
other?

Not at all. If that were true, how would you use more than one physical
machine? The combination URL:PORT is, from Solr’s perspective, just some Solr
node. There’s no assumption about what machine it’s running on, whether there
are two or more JVMs on the same machine etc.

Best,
Erick