Hi everybody,

We have a corpus of 50+ million documents in our collection. I've noticed
that some queries with specific keywords tend to be extremely slow. E.g.
the q=`photography' or q='background'. After digging into the raw
documents, I could see that these two terms appear in greater than 90% of
all documents, which means solr has to score each of those documents.

Is there a best practise to deal with these sort of queries? Should solr be
able to handle these queries normally quickly (we have 8 shards). The
average, reproducible time for the response on these queries is between
1.5-2.5 seconds.

Please let me know if more information is required.

Regards.

Ash

--
*P.S. We've launched a new blog to share the latest ideas and case studies
from our team. Check it out here: product.canva.com