Ad 1) it needs to be configured in Zookeeper server and Solr and all other ZK
clients

Ad 2) you never need to shut it down in production for updating Synonym files.
Use the config set API to reupload the full configuration included updated
synonyms:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_4/configsets-api.html
Then: reload the collection and optionally reindex (if you use synonyms at the
index level)
Alternatively used managed synonyms

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/managed-resources.html

And optionally reindex