On 9/4/2019 12:48 PM, Russell Bahr wrote:
Thank you for the feedback and advise.  I have loaded the 2 screenshots up
to drop box.  Here is the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5b41a61za0ojw7/solr4_Screen%20Shot%202019-09-03%20at%203.37.08%20PM.png?dl=0

Just one screenshot there.

Looking at that, I'm guessing that you have a heap size between 11 and 12 GB, and about 7GB of index data. A little more than 3GB of your system memory is being used for disk caching. So you can fit about half your index into the cache.

I would not ordinarily expect a situation like this to have such bad performance, so there may be something going on that isn't straightforward to see here. One possible problem is that your install actually needs a bigger heap than you have, so it's spending a lot of time doing garbage collection. If this is what's happening, you probably are going to need more than 16GB total memory.

What is the total document count for that 7GB of index data?

Solr 4 likely isn't writing a GC log, but Solr 8 probably is. Can you share those logs?

Thanks,
Shawn