We can’t answer whether you should change the field type for two reasons:

1> It depends on your use case.
2> we don’t know what the field type “lowercase” does. It’s composed of an
analysis chain that you may have changed. And whatever config you are using may
have changed with different releases of Solr.

Grouping is generally done on a docValues-eligible field type. AFAIK,
“lowercase” is a solr-text based field so is ineligible for docValues. I’ve got
to guess here, but I’d suggest you start with a fieldType of “string”, and
enable docValues on it.

Best,
Erick