How much RAM in the box total? How many sort fields and what types? Sorts on each core?

Willie Wong wrote:
Hello,

I've been having issues with out of memory errors on searches in Solr. I was wondering if I'm hitting a limit with solr or if I've configured something seriously wrong.

Solr Setup
- 3 cores - 3163615 documents each
- 10 GB size
- approx 10 fields
- document sizes vary from a few kb to a few MB
- no faceting is used however the search query can be fairly complex with 8 or more fields being searched on at once

Environment:
- windows 2003
- 2.8 GHz zeon processor
- 1.5 GB memory assigned to solr
- Jetty 6 server

Once we get to around a few concurrent users OOM start occuring and Jetty restarts. Would this just be a case of more memory or are there certain configuration settings that need to be set? We're using an out of the box Solr 1.3 beta version.
A few of the things we considered that might help:
- Removing sorts on the result sets (result sets are approx 40,000 + documents) - Reducing cache sizes such as the queryResultMaxDocsCached setting, document cache, queryResultCache, filterCache, etc

Am I missing anything else that should be looked at, or is it time to simply increase the memory/start looking at distributing the indexes? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

WW