Hi,

We've got users on Solr 6 (and use Jackson ourselves), so I had a look at
this CVE and related Jackson exploits, to see whether they are actually
exploitable in Solr.

   - What parts of Solr actually use Jackson (I thought noggit was used for
   the JSON de/serialization)?
   - Do any of the object mappers used enable default typing? (which is
   necessary to exploit CVE-2017-7525
   https://adamcaudill.com/2017/10/04/exploiting-jackson-rce-cve-2017-7525/
   )
   - Is polymorphism used with Jackson without restricting subtypes (e.g.
   @JsonTypeInfo with JsonTypeInfo.Id.CLASS, which allows other exploits like
   CVE-2017-15095

https://medium.com/@cowtowncoder/on-jackson-cves-dont-panic-here-is-what-you-need-to-know-54cd0d6e8062
   )

Aside from test classes, the only users of Jackson appear to be

   - org.apache.solr.analytics.AnalyticsRequestParser
   - org.apache.solr.prometheus.scraper.SolrScraper

>From what I can see in the source on master and the 7_7 branch default
typing isn't ever enabled, and @JsonTypeInfo is restricted to named
subtypes.

In the 6_6 branch source it seems Jackson is only used in a handful of
tests.
Prior to Solr 6.3 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9589)
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.response.DelegationTokenResponse.JsonMapResponseParser
constructed an ObjectMapper without configuration.

So, as far as I can see, the polymorphic deserialization Remote Code
Execution vulnerabilities on (older versions of) Jackson shouldn't actually
be exploitable in Solr 7.7... but I could be wrong, and new vulnerabilities
may still be discovered.

Colvin